The Board of Directors of Lutherans Restoring Creation has unanimously endorsed the resolution (see here) adopted by Upper Iowa River Conference of the Northeastern Iowa ELCA Synod to support Advocacy for the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act.
Lutherans have gathered together as a Faith Action Team with Citizens Climate Lobby. They are educating fellow congregations and urging synods to propose resolutions to their local council leaders re: the Carbon Dividend Act. LISTEN/WATCH HERE to the March 1st recording ASAP to find out more. (Please note: Carbon Pricing is incorporated in the suggested Memorial for ’22, but you may want to promote this separately to specifically educate on this topic in your region.)
1) Find out if your synod is taking resolutions and what the deadline and process is on your synod office website.
2) Work with your Green Teams (+/or any other ELCA members concerned about climate change) to make adjustments to the template to work for your own context.
3) Forward throughout your region to find other congregations to support it (explore materials below for help).
4) Regardless of where the vote goes you will have raised the issue and helped educate everyone involved!
*UPDATE Nov, 2021 :All U.S. Senate Democrats, save for Manchin, support including a carbon tax in the reconciliation bill. (Bloomberg). *
Click here for Presentation Slides by Bob Lindmeier, Senior Chief Meteorologist, WKOW TV & ELCA Synod Creation Care Team (best if seen with link above as well)
- Thanks to the ELCA’s Advocacy office for putting together this response to the complicated issue of Carbon Pricing: Download and share with your church.
- Watch a variety of educational videos regarding Carbon Issues on our YouTube channel (here).
- See the Resolution and Memorial led by South Central Wisconsin’s Synod sent to (and passed by) Churchwide Assembly in 2019.
- Join the Lutheran Faith Action Team of Citizen’s Climate Lobby – a group chaired by ELCA member, Leslie Sand in Iowa – See more and connect with them here.